San Diego Family Law Attorney Helping Clients With Child Custody Issues Where Substance Abuse Is a Factor
- Navigating the sensitive issues of child custody and visitation is difficult enough in a divorce, but it is even more emotional when one spouse has a substance abuse problem. Not only can this lead to aggressive and combative behavior between spouses, but it can also negatively affect the children as well. If you are in this situation, it is critical that you have a San Diego divorce attorney on your side who understands what is at stake and who knows how to help you and your children.
If you have questions about how to handle child custody or visitation matters when substance abuse is a concern, contact the law office of Anthony C. Starks today toll free at 866.606.5094 or locally at 619.573.6162 to arrange your consultation. With over 25 years of experience, I am a San Diego divorce lawyer who knows how to handle this issue with discretion and skill.
- When a legitimate substance abuse problem exists, there are certain concerns that must be addressed. Is the spouse who has the addiction problem negligent when it comes to his or her parental responsibilities? Does the other parent pose a danger to the children? Has he or she ever become violent while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, resulting in domestic violence ? These are all questions that must be asked, addressed and brought to the court's awareness.
Options the Court Will Consider
- The court will look at what arrangement is in the best interest of the children. This may involve:
- Awarding sole custody to the parent who does not have a substance abuse problem
- Allowing limited visitation to the spouse with the problem
- Ordering home visits by a social worker or other professional be conducted on a regular basis to the dwelling where the abusing parent resides
- Mandating that visits by the addicted parent with the children are monitored
- Currently, there are many companies in California that offer the safe facilities where the non-custodial parent may visit the children in a secure environment and visitation monitors oversee the visit. This may be an option the court approves of, and I can help you negotiate this type of arrangement, including having the non-custodial cover the cost of these visits since there is a fee to use these kinds of facilities.
- Not only do I have experience with parents who are substance abusers, but I am also a certified specialist in family law as designated by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. This is a distinction held by an extremely small percentage of California attorneys. It requires an additional bar exam as well as a peer review and ethics review by the State Bar of California. This experience and credentialing sets me apart from other attorneys in the area.
Although you can find more information about divorce here on the website, the best way to address your concerns is to contact me online or call 619.573.6162 or 866.606.5094 today. Also, please recognize that the information on this site is very general and should not be taken as legal advice.